Saturday, February 19, 2011

Stop Worrying; Start Waiting

Ugh ... if you know me at all, you know I absolutely HATE waiting!!!!! Most of time time I can be patient, other times I'm terrible it. I've been praying for patience, and trust me, He's given me way too much practice at it lately. Christ has been showing me -- slowly but surely -- how to wait righteously.

First, know that everything is in His timing. For, as Isaiah 60:22 says, "At the right time, I, the Lord, will make it happen." or in other translation, He will "hasten" it in His timing. That's encouraging. Many times, I'm impatient, and force things to happen. But God's got it all under control; I have to trust in that. He doesn't want us to set our hearts on things, but instead to stop worrying (Luke 12:29).

Second, know that waiting means something different to God. To us, waiting is when we're ready for things to happen. For God, waiting is when He's ready for things to happen. As Psalm 27:14 says, "Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" He says "wait for the Lord" TWICE so people like you and me will actually get the message ;)

Third, waiting righteously means being content with Him. When we're impatient, like I am all the time, then we're demanding like a little kid without candy on Halloween for our treats. But honestly, doesn't God know when we have too many treats? Doesn't He know the best time to give us chocolate? He will comfort and love us; we are not forsaken or desolate, but His delight (Isaiah 62:4). He doesn't want us to gratify our desires (Romans 13:14). Instead, He wants us to put off the darkness of the old self and put on the armor of light: Jesus (Romans 13:12).

I guess what I'm trying to say can be summed up in one verse in chapter 12 of Romans, which says, "Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be consistent in prayer" (vs. 12). At least God's blessed with me friends who tell me to quit worrying, because I always need a reminder. I guess I'll conclude with a favorite verse of mine ... "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" (Matthew 6:34). Love Him! He's truly the best. He can take what He wants from me; it means nothing now. He can take everything from me; it means nothing now!

1 comment:

  1. Great insight on worry and trusting God. Being a worrier myself, I too have had to learn these lessons. Thanks for the refresher.

    ReplyDelete