Friday, February 15, 2013

His Letter of Recommendation

"You yourselves are our letter of recommendation, written on our hearts, to be known and read by all. And you show that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts" (2 Cor. 3:2-3). 

He wants YOU to be His letter of recommendation!
Typically, when turning in a college application or a job application, they prefer -- or in many cases, require -- a letter of recommendation. As 2 Cor. 3:2-3 says, you and I are continually writing something. Is it something God would want? Would someone look at your letter of recommendation and scoff at it? "Seriously? This girl can't even spell 'totally' but instead has to say 'totes'. Honestly, the word 'totally' is completely unnecessary altogether; it is so unprofessional." If you want a GOOD letter of recommendation, you put in the time and effort to make a good letter; that's just to make your letter acceptable. If you want a GREAT letter, you have to give your time and effort daily. Put yourself aside, leaving all your hate and selfish ambitions aside and say, "Lord, I want YOU to live through me."

When you think about God wanting YOU and ME to be His letter of recommendation, it's a little crazy. The God of the universe who created the stars and the universe wants ME to write a letter of recommendation for HIM?! Yeah, right. I can "totes" do that and not make a complete fool out of both of us ... I think it's just the coolest thing that He wants us to recommend Him to others. Of course I want to recommend Him ... Or do I? If I think He's worth it, I will recommend Him to everyone! However, I don't, and I can't say I even have a legit excuse in the slightest for that except laziness, lack of passion, or "too busy." I can't believe I can actually use those as excuses. I must look so smite-able to God. Haha.

Anyways ............. The reason I bring this up is because of V-day. I have a post in the past about it. Yes, I have a (wonderful) boyfriend now, but I honestly believe it's because I waited and it was worth it! While it's awesome having a significant other, it doesn't mean the world is ending because you don't have someone to smooch on the day filled with flowers and chocolates and sappiness (oh my!). ;) Make your life be one full of love and a letter of recommendation WORTH reading and super exciting!

God is Love
God is more than love; He is our judge, creator, father, etc. His being is rooted in love and forgiveness and sovereignty in carrying that out to its fullest extent. Just read the book of 1 John for more on this, especially chapter 4! In fact, you should just do it now. :)

With this in mind, clearly, He has our best interest at heart. So to say "woe is me" is truly an insult to Him. Besides, why should one feel lonely with God by them? I would challenge you to really examine your relationship with Christ. If you feel lonely, even the best man in the world won't help you fill the "God void." So fill that spot in your heart with the love only God can give and the rest will follow. By that, I mean life goes on. Life is not all flowers and happiness and love and unicorns and the perfect guy/gal. "The rest will follow" = life goes on and it gets much easier to suck it up once you put your heart in the right place. I don't mean to get all preachy -- except, I do -- and I'm talking from experience. So as Nike says, "JUST DO IT."

Fellows & Girlies: Enough with this low self consciousness!

"
This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God" (1 Cor. 4:1-5).

Too many people -- girls and guys! -- don't have the confidence they should have. If you have Jesus, confidence should just exude. Not the cocky type of confidence, but the quiet, peaceful, triumphant in Christ type of confidence. So many men have issues when they get older from not being able to express themselves because society teaches them to bottle their emotion up (I'm learning this in sociology class -- yay Las Po edumacation!). Girls, on the other hand, think they are too "ugly" to date and that's why they don't have a date. I attribute these issues to not fully allowing Christ to love through them, but too often Christian girls/guys have these issues as well. The 1 Cor. passage just above this clearly says to let God be the judge -- not other people or even yourself! God brings to light the things now hidden in darkness, such as the future. Our job is to simply be regarded as servants of Christ by, surprisingly, being servants of Christ (shocking, I know). I am NOT discounting that it is wrong to feel self conscious, embarrassed, or secretive to maintain your dignity. Keep your integrity (for Christ's sake -- He did die for you after all). But YOUR dignity? No, get rid of yourself! Who cares if you show emotion, don't have a model body, aren't Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc. Use what you have and don't have for His glory!

For example, I'm 19, almost 20 in March. I didn't have my first "real" boyfriend until I was 18. Call me crazy, but I know I've been blessed because of it. I'm very thankful to have waited. I also avoided a whole lot of heartbreak due to teenage hormones and society's pressure to have a lover. Jesus was, is, and always will be my first and foremost lover. When your significant other's first love is Jesus as well, it really is more God glorifying. You'll both know when the time is right because it'll be in His timing.


You've Got the Powerrrrrrrr!
"For the kingdom of God does not consist in talk but in power" (1 Cor. 4:20). If you believe in  Christ and that He died on a cross for you and rose again, well, you're in luck; you've got the power -- so use it! God will never give you more than you and Him can't take on together. In fact, the phrase "God will never give you more than you can take" often gets thrown around. Usually we apply this in response to troubles and trials in life. However, in light of Valentine's day, I think it allows us to realize He never gives us more than we can take beneficially either. For example, if it makes me too prideful to have a boyfriend and a great family and a roof over my head and a bed and an education (and so on), then why would He ever choose to give me more than I can take? He doesn't want me to become too independent of Him, even if He chooses to give (or not give) such amount of blessings. He will never give us more than we can handle!

In essence, Valentine's day serves as a great reminder to love on others like Christ. (After all, to quote Les Mis, "to love another person is to see the face of God." Yes, I like that movie.) Not only that, but keeping in mind to let God be our confidence and power. We would literally astound ourselves if we just listened to Him and gave even a sliver of our selfish selves to Him. So, single or not, our purpose in life doesn't change. Keep the faith and let the author of love write His love letter to you for all to see and spread that love! Don't be selfish; He wants the world to know His passionate, eternal love. "He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart ..." I don't have a love like that. Today, I went to a movie with a friend I said I'd see previously with a different friend. I am painfully human. Life comes down to giving your all to Him in complete surrender. He can do more than we possibly imagine. Being sad about single life is silly; there's so much you can only do while you're single so take advantage of that time. You'll only have it for so long. 

Just my two cents (but it feels more like my 99 cents lol). I talk too much! See my previous v-day post here: http://beccawoll.blogspot.com/2011/02/valentines-day-musings.html [Valentine's Day Musings]
An oldie but a goodie. Not that I'm biased or anything. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment