Friday, May 27, 2011

What is His Purpose for You?

Today, I read Hebrews 6:19, which says, "This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast." I love having an anchor for my life that can never be moved. You know how Jesus sometimes has a theme of the day? Mine was definitely His unwavering strength and dedication for me. First, with that verse. Second, with the love of family and friends shown to me. Lastly, through a song ...

"I know what you said but I’m in over my head. You said that I’m not alone here, I said, 'Throw me a rope then,' I've had more then enough of the rain [...] When I feel like I am drifting away; sinking down, the sands are shifting today; I'm about to lose my way -- You anchor, anchor me down. Looking out the skies are turning to grey. All around the tide is pulling away; just about to lose my way -- You anchor, anchor me down" ("Anchor" by Satellites & Sirens). Love this song; it had more meaning for me today than usual.

If God is our anchor, we must be the ship going where ... ? This post is about His purpose for you and how to discover it. Trust me, this is something I strive and struggle with, so I'm not claiming that I've found some magic formula to following Christ -- in fact, there ISN'T a magic formula; it's a lifelong process that takes lots of messing up, even when we think we have it right.
I once heard a story on a Christian radio station of a girl who flipped 3 1/2 times in a car accident and survived against the odds of what happened (I forget the specifics, but it was pretty amazing she survived). She was saved. God is using her. God could instantly smite you right now, am I wrong? Hahaha. Yet, in His grace, He hasn't done that. Logically, doesn't it follow that He saves you everyday? You are saved. God is using you. He is NOT smiting you and forgives and loves you every moment of the day. We have to try and return the favor, don't we?
If you think He doesn't have a purpose for your life, do something for me. Breathe in. Now, breathe out. Oh, hey, you're alive and Jesus hasn't called you home yet. I guess that means He needs you to do some errands first!!! Lame, but let's face it, I have a point haha. Anyway, I've outlined my thoughts below ...

Who is God?
Isaiah 40:12-18 can answer this question: "Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, And marked off the heavens by the span, And calculated the dust of the earth by the measure, And weighed the mountains in a balance And the hills in a pair of scales? Who has directed the Spirit of the LORD, Or as His counselor has informed Him?With whom did He consult and who gave Him understanding? And who taught Him in the path of justice and taught Him knowledge And informed Him of the way of understanding? Behold, the nations are like a drop from a bucket, And are regarded as a speck of dust on the scales; Behold, He lifts up the islands like fine dust. Even Lebanon is not enough to burn, Nor its beasts enough for a burnt offering. All the nations are as nothing before Him, They are regarded by Him as less than nothing and meaningless. To whom then will you liken God? Or what likeness will you compare with Him?"

Your relationship with God is unlike anything else in this world -- it's out of this world and He can rock your world! That is, if we let Him consume our lives and use it. Imagine all that He could accomplish! Sometimes, when I'm seeking His will, I'll say, as the Bible reads, "My way is hidden from the Lord" (Isaiah 40:27). But instead he turns this phrase and begs the questions, "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power" (Isaiah 40:27-29). He wants to help us, even if His plan is beyond our understanding.

Spiritually In Tune
Have you ever had to listen to an out of tune guitar or piano? Or any instrument? How about someone who can't sing on pitch? It's not exactly a pleasant sound, right? Well, whenever we're not in tune with our Jesus, He isn't pleased and honestly we aren't pleased either! So how do we make sure we've tuned our hearts and minds to play our part in God's symphony? 1 Cor. 2 answers that one ...

"Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory [...] 'THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD,
AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN, ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.' For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one. For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ" (1 Cor. 2:6-7; 9-14).

There was one phase in my life I recently was praying and asking for something. My response? "I'll start doing things for you if you start doing some things for Me." He always responds so simply. That's probably a good thing for someone like me ...

How are you viewed?
Obviously, one cannot please everyone, but if we are following Christ, we will be found "acceptable to God and approved by men" (Romans 14:18). We are called to be a "fragrance" for the ones following Christ and even the ones who are not, such as our enemies even (2 Cor. 2:15). Are you a joyful and refreshing person to be around? Paul wrote that he wished that in Romans 15:32! Should we not be a pleasant person to be around; a light that doesn't fade with our circumstances? For we have an anchor that no current in heaven, hell, or earth can uplift.

You're NEVER Too Young
There is a difference between being submissive to authority and following your call. God will never call you to do something that would make you disobey His own commands. However, don't let age or enemies get in the way of your purpose. If you feel led to do something, DO IT. There's a reason your heart feels passionate for whatever it may be. The poor? The elderly? The broken hearted? The lonely? The forsaken? The neglected? You name it. There is always a need. What many don't realize is that there is always a cure for the need (even if it's not fully cured until heaven). If we are the body, BE the hands, BE the feet. BE the church. Christ is head, now let's go and be fishers of men. You're never too young to do His will: "Then I said, 'Alas, Lord GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, because I am a youth.' But the LORD said to me, 'Do not say, "I am a youth," because everywhere I send you, you shall go, and all that I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you,' declares the LORD" (Jer. 1:6-8).

You vs. God
Let's be honest. Who is going to win? You have your plans, God has His plans. Most likely, God is going to make sure His plan happens. Sure, you might have a great plan. But God has a better one! Proverbs 16 defines our plans vs. God's and how to deal with it. "The plans of the heart belong to man [...] All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, but the LORD weighs the motives. Commit your works to the LORD and your plans will be established. The LORD has made everything for its own purpose, even the wicked for the day of evil [...] When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him [...] The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps" (Proverbs 16:1-4; 7; 9). To break it down, God looks at your motives and decides whether you are truly committing yourself to Him. If we are following Him, His plan becomes our plan, and even though life isn't perfect, we will feel secure in our steps, knowing He is leading the way.

God, can You hold me together? Without You, I'm holding my heart. I'm falling apart. I'm slowly realizing that I cannot move mountains -- but if You want to, You can. If it's for your glory, please, move the mountains in my life. If not, grant me Your peace in what I cannot understand. But above all, glorify yourself through my imperfections. Help me to wait patiently, as you beckon me towards the hope I cannot see (Romans 8:25). Don't let me lose my hope, for I know you, my King, lives within me (Micah 4:9). You lived and died for me. In turn, you're the only thing worth living AND dying for in this life! I need you to be my hope that keeps me grounded; an anchor for my soul (Hebrews 6:19).

No comments:

Post a Comment