Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fear Leads to Action. Apparently, I have Little Fear.

I am learning so much lately. God's molding can hurt -- and right now, it hurts quite a bit -- but in the end, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd rather learn from Jesus and hurt, than not learn anything, and be "okay" with feeling okay.

Soo ... Define "Fear" 
What does it mean to really fear Him? "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Psalm 111:10). If that's true, we must learn to fear Him in order to gain wisdom. The more life I live, the more I feel entitled to give Him what I can never repay. To comprehend that He'd die for me is one thing. To understand that I get to be His servant?! What a privilege. But I haven't even taken up His offer on that yet. He gives me a chance to "know," "believe," and "understand" Him (Isaiah 43:10). Not only that, but I get to be His "witness" (Isaiah 43:10). How, then, I can live such a distracted life with such selfish motives? Yes, sin lurks everywhere, but we're called to overcome it's desire for us and "rule over it" (Genesis 4:7). Why? Because sin isn't our master anymore; we're not under the law, but under grace (Romans 6:14). With that said, I have a lot to work to do and a lot of "desires" to overcome.

How do I overcome myself? Put on your superhero clothes!
"Put on the full armor of God [...] so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand [...] And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people" (Eph. 6:11, 13, & 18). "And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 4:7). I couldn't have said it better myself. But just like superheroes, we don't know when "the Son of Man is coming" (Luke 12:40). In fact, He's coming at an hour we don't expect, so we have to stay "dressed for action" at all times (Luke 12:35;40).

God Knows Best
God knows best, so of course He's going to choose His timing. I'm preaching to the choir, if you know what I mean, because I'm pretty bad at realizing His plan is a lot better than mine! I know Jesus makes "everything beautiful in its time" and that we "cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end" because "whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him" (Ecclesiastes 3:11 & 14). Knowing He knows it all -- and we know next to nothing -- should be enough reason to let Him plan. God tells us, "I am the first and I am the last [...] Who is like me? [...] Let them declare what is to come, and what will happen [...] Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any" (Isaiah 44:6-8). You know what I found interesting though? If I simply remember Him, He invites us to "argue" with Him; to set forth my case to be proved right (Isaiah 43:26). He wants my opinion; He wants to talk with me! There really is no God like Him. Lastly, he warns, "Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?" (Isaiah 43:18-19).

How's your perception and reception?
"Can you hear me now? Good." [Yes, I did just steal a Verizon Wireless commercial line.] I truly think He asks that a lot and when we finally perceive what He's saying, He sighs and says, "Good!" or probably more accurately put, "finally!" or "about time!" Our reception is pretty terrible most of the time, but every once in a while, we perceive what He's saying. Even if we perceive what He's saying, how often do we take action? Not very often, unfortunately. God wants us to "magnify his law and make it glorious" for His sake and pleasure (Isaiah 42:21). But honestly, we do a crappy job. As of late, however, I've come to realize that I need His help for and in EVERYTHING, including serving Him! God working in your life has an endless abundance of blessing. But I can't lie, it can hurt, too. God will give us a new heart and a new spirit, replacing our "heart of stone" with a "heart of flesh" (Ezekiel 36:26-27). That transformation in our hearts takes a lot of surgery in our own lives, but it's well worth it. Think about it. We have a heart of stone compared to His heart for us. He was willing to face the hardships of man and die on a cross. What are we willing to do? Buy a donut for 89 cents. Our lack of faith is disturbing. MY lack of faith is disturbing. If I had any faith, I'd take way more action. After this speech tournament, I am waking up from my slumber of passion for Jesus.

Lord, teach me your ways so that I may walk in your truth. Please, unite my heart to fear your name. I will give thanks to you with my whole heart! Create in me a heart pure enough to glorify You, that I may give You a sliver of justice.
Love, Your Servant Who's Working On it [Psalm 86:11-12].

P.S. I already have a blog idea for my next one :O It will be addressed like a letter from God to us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment