Wednesday, January 26, 2011

God Loves Even the Lowest

Cain and Abel.
Most Christians know the story of Adam and Eve's children. Cain brought the Lord fruit from the ground, and Abel brought the best of his flock, but the Lord only regards Abel's offerings -- not Cain's (Genesis 4:3-5). Eventually, Cain grows so upset that he murders his own brother (verse 8). God responds, "What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood is crying to me from the ground" (verses 10-11) and places a curse upon Cain. Cain says to the Lord, "My punishment is greater than I can bear [...] and whoever finds me will kill me" (verses 13-14). But God responds, "Not so! If anyone kills Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold" (verse 15).
I took away two things from this story.
1) The Lord only accepts our best. Even if we give our best, we have to have the best attitude with it, too!
2) God loves us so, so much. I know that (and hopefully you know that too. If not, ask me about His love!). But verse 15 particularly stuck out to me. God had more respect, per say, of Abel. But He didn't love Cain any less. God actually says He'd punish Cain's killer seven times more, even though Cain himself murdered! God accepts us for who we were, who we are, and who we will be. In other words, He loves us no matter what.
Don't you love that? I sure do :)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting angle. I never thought of this lesson from Cain before. You bring a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete