Saturday, January 29, 2011

Trusting

Personally, I'm really bad at trusting, which is honestly, very strange. I know many trustworthy people. Somehow, I still manage to doubt -- and unfortunately, I'm pretty good at it. Today I read Genesis 12:10-20. In this story, Abram temporarily moves to Egypt because of a famine. However, like any good husband, he knows men will notice Sarai, his wife, because she's "beautiful." So Abram thinks, "I'll be killed, but Sarai will be spared because the Egyptians will want her for themselves." Thus, he makes a plan: "Sarai, tell everyone you're my sister. That way, you'll not only be treated well, but I'll also live ... and I like living." And what do you know? Abram was right. The Egytians note her beauty -- just imagine the whistling and pick up lines as they pass through the land -- even Pharaoh's officials notice, and tell their Pharaoh of how hot she is, so Pharaoah invites Abram and Sarai to his palace. Abram was treated well for Sarai's sake. But to Pharaoh and his household's surprise, the Lord inflicts disease upon them! Logically, he calls in Abram and asks, "What have you done to me?! Why did you lie to me and say Sarai was your sister? Why did you let me take her, but not tell me she's your fricken' WIFE?! Take her and go!" Then Abram, upon the Pharaoh's orders, are sent on their way, "with his wife and everything he had" (Gen. 12:20).

I find this sort of a humerous story. However, this shows God's grace on Abram, by allowing him, his wife, and everything he had to go on safely! Abram didn't trust that God would protect him and his wife, even though he was just trying to do what was right. I wonder if he asked God what he should do before he left on his trip. I wonder if he complained, saying, "My way is hidden from the LORD; my cause is disregarded by my God" (Isaiah 40:27). Who knows? One can tell by his actions that he wanted to protect like any good husband; that's a give in. But to me, it also shows Abram's inability to just trust God that everything's going to be okay. I suppose in today's society it is easy to not trust someone, even though God is more trustworthy than any human being on earth! Do we not know? Have we not heard? "The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom" (Isaiah 40:28). Why don't we trust Him all the time? Why do we doubt that we can't handle something? I love the saying, "If God brought you to it, He'll bring you through it." Even when we make a mistake like Abram, He works through it. If we know Him, we'll trust Him, because He never forsakes those who seek Him (Psalm 9:10). Jesus showed me Proverbs 8:34-36 recently, and I think it's fitting for today's post:

"Blessed is the man who listens to me,
Watching daily at my gates,
Waiting at the posts of my doors.
For whoever finds me finds life,
And obtains favor from the LORD;
But he who sins against me wrongs his own soul;
All those who hate me love death.”

I pray I can watch daily for Him; wait patiently for doors to open and close; and lastly, find favor in the Lord. Love never fails. I hope the Creator of love itself can guide me -- and you too! "How he loves us all ..............." I hope I never forget. I hope I trust the rest of my life in His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment