Monday, January 31, 2011

Mercy, In-N-Out, and All Those Other Holy & Delicious Things

Such an odd day. I'm not even sure I can describe it! But overall, it was wonderful :)

First, I read the story of when God pours out his wrath on Sodom and Gomorrah. Right before He does that, Lot sees two angels entering the city. Lot presses them strongly to spend the night in his house, so the angels turn aside and enter his house. Later that night, the angels ask Lot, "Have you anyone else here? Sons-in-law, sons, daughters, or anyone you have in the city, bring them out of the place. For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it." Lot tells his one son-in-law, who thinks he's "jesting" (umm he'll find out soon enough that he wasn't joking!). Fast forward to dawn. The angels urge Lot to take his wife and daughters out of the city bfore they are destroyed with it, but he lingered (like really? Stuupid). Then the angels grab Lot, along with his wife and daughters -- "the Lord being merciful to him -- and brought them outside the city. Then you pretty much know the rest ... Lot's wife doubts and disobeys by lookng at the city in flames, turning her into a pillar of salt; spares the rest of Lot's family; and then the daughters do some really disgusting things! Anways ......... what's the point? Well, God shows a lot of mercy to Lot and his family. First, by letting the angels warn him. Second, by allowing Lot to tell his future son-in-law to flee. Third, by allowing Lot more time even when he's just meandering around (!). And lastly, by sparing the lives of Lot and his family (besides his wife, but hey, disobedience to God isn't the wisest thing to do). So much mercy! What's awesome is that the same God who showed that much mercy still shows that mercy -- to me! :)

Speaking of mercy, He must have mercy -- or maybe I should say pity -- on me. Today, I was going through the In-N-Out drive-thru for food. My order: 2 drinks, 2 fries, and 2 burgers (no, not all for myself haha). I order my food, approach the cashier, open my wallet -- and what do I have? $5 bucks. Yes, I am filthy rich ... for the record, 5 bucks does not buy you 2 drinks, 2 fries, and 2 burgers. I awkwardly admit, "uhhh I don't have enough money ... " the cashier girl replies, "umm ... okay, wait here. One sec" so she grabs who I'm assuming is the manager. He asks, "Would you want to take some items off?" I said yes, so he slowly start taking items off until I was degraded to 1 fry and 2 burgers. The total? $7.24. Crap -- STILL not enough! At this point I'm feeling kind of pathetic (and honestly, embarressed) so I tell him, "I'll just drive-thru if that's okay. I'm really sorry about that ..." but he turns to me and goes, "no, no. It's fine. I'll pay the $2 difference." I'm sort of shocked and taken aback. Again, I say awkwardly, "oh ... um, THANK you! That's so nice ... thank you very much." I got my 1 fry and 2 burgers at In-N-Out for 5 bucks! I recieved food because this man was willing to pay 2 bucks! I thank God, turn on the radio, to hear Scott (on K-love) saying how something insignificant to us makes a big difference to someone else. Well, today, I was on the recieving end, to a nice stranger at In-N-Out named Dave (well, his apron labled him that). Ahh ... God is so good :) "He provides food for those who fear him; he remembers his covenant forever." Psalm 111:5. The God of the Old Testament remembered me today ... what a thought; what a Savior.

Lastly, if you get a chance, you can help someone else who called K-love today asking we vote for Pepsi to support kids with a certain disease/disorder. All you have to do is text "105582" to the number 737-74 (if you want to know more about it, go to http://pep.si/adoCG3). Note: it ends TONIGHT so be sure to text before midnight! Hey, it's "Make a Difference Monday" and all you have to do is text a few numbers. DO IT! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment